Monday, March 23, 2020

Reviving the Strathmore Class--Free! (Lesson 3)

Reviving the Strathmore Class--Free! (Lesson 3)

Hi all...years ago (2012! Time flies!), Strathmore Papers asked me if I'd be one of the artists in their series of free workshops, and of course I agreed!  Watercolor Sketching is one of my favorite things.

There's little enough I can do to help those who are housebound, self-isolating, social distancing or quarantined, I think now is a good time to make the class easily available again, so for the next few days I'm going to link to one of the 4 lessons...

By the way, I LOVE referring to our social distancing as being "artists-in-residence!" 

So, HERE is Lesson 3--this one's on 3 different ways to work with watercolor, direct application with no underdrawing, one with a pencil guidelines, and one an ink drawing with washes over--two different approaches.  There's no one right way to work, explore and choose whichever fits your vision for the subject.

I just did a light pencil underdrawing on this one of my husband reading one of our favorite books...

For this one, I worked very slowly to add the pattern in the carpet, no underdrawing...fun!

(I'm sorry I can't find the original art that I used in the videos, but I'm hoping the ones I find to share here will be inspiration enough to get you started!)

And don't forget, I have a LOT of free how-to videos on my YouTube channel...there will be more available in the coming weeks. https://www.youtube.com/user/KateJosTube

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Cathy for re-opening this lesson. Please, take care and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so kind and thoughtful of you to offer this material. I remember many years ago (2000?)... your book (Sierra Club Guide to Painting from Nature) was just about the only good library
    book available regarding outdoor sketching.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love your feedback...please share your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin