Friday, September 5, 2014

Creativity and Work and the Necessity of Taking a Break

...or "the freelancer's dilemma!"

I've just finished the big, intense, and very busy class for Danny Gregory's online "Sketchbook Skool," and desperately needed a break before jumping head first into the upcoming North Light book, Sketching on the Spot.  (And as those of you who took my class know, "just finished" really means a few weeks past, but it takes me time to recuperate these days!)

"And now for something completely different..."



Of course part of that difference took the form of just being quiet, and alone in my little shed studio as much as possible, save for my beloved husband and my cats.  Reading, listening to music, even playing a little on my old wooden whistle.

No computer, no phone...heaven.

Interacting with others sparingly and deliberately, and only those I chose to, for the most part.  (Class was wonderful and challenging, but almost every teacher I know who has been involved has also mentioned that it is exhausting--especially for us introverts.)

I know what I need!


Trying something different, a creative direction I hadn't taken in a long time, was one answer.  It is restorative, I think, to explore an entirely different form or medium.  For me, it has been printmaking.  Cutting my own printing blocks from soft rubber sheets that have largely taken the place of linoleum block or the woodblocks before them--and with my arthritic fingers it's just as well.  These cut like butter.

I dug out my 30 year old lino-cut tools you see above, and began to play.

Among my first stamps, this go-round--I love great blue herons, and wanted images of Norman, our silly, huge goldfish.



Fish, one-line cats, spirals, and the spiral in the hand that you find in many primitive cultures...it has always captured my imagination.

More print blocks...
...a woven circle with wabi-sabi edges...and our friends the Copper Creek Band.

And MORE print blocks.  Yes, bears, too.  I think I'm done, now...
Really, this should be about enough...

------------------

I've always loved simple, bold prints--I had a brief foray into block cutting a few years ago when I wanted a larger version of the Newgrange spirals with which to embellish my journals.  This is one of my little accordion-fold sketch journals, with the stamp in use.

Last time I needed to cut stamps, I confined myself to a couple of spirals like this one.

The original meaning of these spirals has been lost in time; they are believed to have been carved 2500 years before the Celts reached Ireland, and they speak to me.

The Trinity; Maiden, Mother, Crone; Earth, Water, Sky--make of them what you will, the triple spiral seems to draw us in.

-----------------

As I mentioned in this post, though, we CAN manage to turn almost anything creative into Work.  Commerce.  A way to earn at least a part of our living, and all the attendant considerations that go with that metamorphosis--where to sell, to whom, how to get the word out...but often, I don't want to turn straw into gold. It's just fine as it is. Straw rocks.  Great mulch...

Someone asked if I sold my print blocks...um, no, but thanks for asking.  (Whew, I resisted!)

And so I remain vigilant.

And remember to play!

Really, that's one reason I work so much in my journals now, rather than on sheets of watercolor paper.  Everything can NOT be about money.  I have to create because I have to create.  I don't sell my journals, I don't tear pages out.  (I do sometimes make a print, but hey...must feed my cats and keep the electricity on...)

--------------


And now, a couple of weeks after I wrote the draft of this post, I'm back to the grindstone of book production, back to working till almost 9 in the evenings, some nights...and I've put my lino-cut tools away.


Well......maybe just one more idea...

27 comments:

  1. Well I hope you take a few minutes now and then to recharge! Pull out your imaginary trailer/house you drew once upon a time or draw a new one bit by bit when you need a moment with a change of pace. Burnout can last way longer than a few moments of rest here or there! Good luck on writing the new book and on keeping a good but not overbearing working pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet lady! I have been trying to balance more...I fiddled with cutting print blocks for a couple of weeks, actually!

      Delete
    2. I love the suggestion to pull out the imaginary Glamper and draw some changes!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this post Kate, I have never tried printing from blocks, I'll have to give it a try. Your bird ones are particularly beautiful. Glad too that you managed to get a break from work, we've been flat out for 2 months now building our sheds and can't wait to get away in the camper car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a wonderful time, Valerie...we all need a break from time to time. Seems like every time you take on any kind of building project or home repair it ALWAYS takes longer than we expect!

      Delete
  3. Delightful to read your thoughts. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cathy,

    I taught art to kids and teenagers for 35 years. It got exhausting and I am not an introvert! But my classes never had more than 16 kids in a class. I can't IMAGINE trying to respond to the number of people who have enrolled in SBS. You are a warrior lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't manage to keep up, I'm afraid. We weren't really expected to, Danny knew we couldn't, but I felt bad about all the wonderful work I didn't get to comment on. And I worried that I missed questions, but you do what you can...

      Delete
  5. Yes. I go into complete silence at the new moon whenever possible -- day before, the whole three days, or even just being quiet the day of, so restorative. doodling, knitting, watching an old movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, Kate, that sounds like a WONDERFUL idea. I used to take silent retreats when there was a retreat house in the next town. I miss that...

      Delete
  6. Glad you got some rest. Print making is on my long list. Sketchbook Skool filled my mind to overflowing. So many new tools and techniques to try. Also enjoy the youtube videos. Just watched yours on textures, with the grain silo the other day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you find it overwhelming? I would have, as a student. And glad you liked the videos!

      Delete
  7. Kate, I think (most?) SBS students understand that the instructors can't keep up. It's always a treat when any of you are able to comment, but the wonderful thing about SBS is the community of student/artists who bridge that gap when instructors are not able to participate. We really do learn a lot from each other--or at least I do.

    And to answer your question to Pilgrim, for me SBS is incredibly overwhelming. I still haven't finished the bird assignment from your week and a couple of my selflies from Koosje's! But it's also rewarding enough that I want to stay with it. I just signed up for Semester 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they do understand, Susan, it was a wonderful group of people--and yes, I know that the community supports eachother, which is wonderful! I loved seeing that.

      I'm almost never able to keep up with an online class, life is just too busy and I have way too many interests. At present I'm reading 4 different books on various subjects--one on writing, one on managing your arthritis, one on brain science, and one, no, TWO on meditation. Concentrating would be good...

      Delete

  8. And remember to play!


    OH DOES THIS SPEAK TO ME!!!! YES YES YES YES YES!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really, that's one reason I work so much in my journals now, rather than on sheets of watercolor paper. Everything can NOT be about money. I have to create because I have to create. I don't sell my journals, I don't tear pages out. (I do sometimes make a print, but hey...must feed my cats and keep the electricity on...)

    And this too Kate -- SOOOOO true ... SBS was exhausting and though I am daily keeping up with the 75 day challenge by Brenda, I am pretty darned tired ... I cannot imagine how any instructor at SBS could keep up .. hundreds of students, hundreds of entries, hundreds of questions ... whew ... so glad you are taking a needed break .. restore thyself my friend ... sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lin, so glad this strikes a chord with you!

      I'm hard at work on the new book, now, but trying to vary it--balance it--with rest, reading, recreation...

      And thank you, dear friend!

      Delete
  10. Lin and Kate, thank you for touching on money and creativity. I grew up around people who believe that if something doesn't make money it isn't worth doing. I don't believe that, but that message is hard to get out of my head when I just want to work in my journal or read a book. I desperately need to simplify, but the idea of discarding/donating art supplies and books I no longer use (but paid good money for, I'm reminded) fills me with guilt. Yet the burden of keeping it around it a heavy one.

    P.S. I tried to reply to your comment above, but nothing happens when I click the Reply button, so I just added this separately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think it's just stuff, and if it can make someone else happy (especially if I can donate to someone who can't afford art supplies) that makes me happy! I often got some good out of it, like going to a movie--that money's spent, too, but it's gone.

      I hope you can find a way to get out from under that guilt, I know how it is when family has that attitude! It's counterproductive, though...

      Delete
  11. What a deep pleasure to come here and read your thoughts and see your sketches, always. Rest IS so crucial and it is something I'm trying to re-introduce in my life after a hugely busy work period. As you said, the restful times aren't going to magically appear... you have to consciously arrange for them. Thank you for telling the rest of us that we are not alone in these struggles to find balance, physically and spiritually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear friend...yes, we have talked many times about the need to make these times happen, because in our busy (frenetic) society they are not going to unless we honor our own need for them, and act on that honor. I have you to thank for more, by the way--several of the books you've recommended have become touchstones.

      Delete
  12. It I'd so important to find that balance between effort and relaxation! My work is Massage therapy, and I feel one of my main tasks is giving permission/ encouragement for adequate self care! An Epsom salt bath, naps, a Massage, love the retreat to the shed studio!!
    I love the little stamps, I've done the same, especially with art erasers; pulled out the old lino tools....
    Love the birds and spirals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Dia, seems as if sometimes we feel guilty about doing that, and keep giving OUT rather than replenishing. We just can't keep doing that, we run out and have nothing left to give.

      And thank you!

      Delete
  13. Thank you for doing such a great giveaway.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love your feedback...please share your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin