Sunday, July 13, 2014

It's been a long, long time!

Hello, all...it's been a long, BUSY time since I've been here. I've done videos for YouTube and for my class for Danny Gregory's Sketchbook Skool, I'm working on a new North Light book on sketching on the spot, there's been a death in the family--my older sister, which threw me for a loop, though it was not unexpected.

There's been growth and change...I'm very active on Facebook, both in our Artist's Journal Workshop group and on my own pages, both personal and professional, as well as in our Urban Sketchers groups, Plein Air Artists, and Nature Artists groups.

I'm still on Flickr, too...crazy, yes?

And I've been trying to focus and simplify.  I realized I wanted to share more of my work and thoughts with you in a calmer, more comtemplative way, and realized I already have THIS blog, ready and waiting.  It was intended to be my gallery, but I'm not so great at keeping up with that.



I've been leaning more in the direction of calm, meditation, focusing, as I've said.  I even offered a video for my latest mini-class, Keeping an Artist's Journal, on Journaling, Contemplation, and Meditation.  That's so important to me that I made it public instead of only for my students.

You'll find more recent videos in my YouTube channel as well--I had a LOT left over from the upcoming class, and I wanted to offer them to you.

Looks like I NEED to focus, doesn't it?  Finishing up some of these projects has felt SO good and SO freeing.  And it reminds me that I need to say no more often--even to myself--for my own sanity.

Breathe, Kate, BREATHE...and as one of my favorite meditation CDs suggests, begin again.  Begin again.  Begin again...

So bear with me, peek over my shoulder, and if you're interested, come along for the ride--or, truthfully, more of a walking meditation.  This may not be regular as clockwork, but it feels right...


21 comments:

  1. Thank you, Donna. Not that I'll really stop going off in so many directions, but FEWER anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to see this! I like the description of a walking meditation. It is all about the journey, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your work (writing, sketching, videos) all help me to slow down and be more meditative-- something I cherish but often schedule out. Like you, I need to learn to say No more often, to others and, perhaps especially, to myself. As always, you make me think in good directions. I will be joining you on your walking meditation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melissa! I'm definitely heading in the right direction for me. I'm glad you'll join me.

      Delete
  4. So happy to see this even though I see you on FB.b always love seeing your art and reading your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teri, I'll still be on FB I'm sure, but some other things are disappearing or phasing out. I need more time to just BE!

      Delete
  5. Seems we're still having internet problems...my comment disappeared. So here it is again! Yahoo! My internet is back on! This is great! Glad to see you're back at the blog. I hope it's not too much! You DO happen to be a very busy woman! :) But it is all about the journey & doing what you love! It's obvious you love this art thing! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've done/ are doing so much! Breathe!
    Sorry for the loss of your sis, even though expected, it's still hard! BLéSSïNgS.
    I love the connection you make between journaling and contemplation. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. And obviously it was past time to do some housecleaning here...I no longer have an Amazon store, I'm no longer a correspondent on the main Urban Sketchers blog having resigned my place to make room for a more active correspondent, my term on the board expired, and I don't keep up the "sold through" gadget, so it goes too...I'll redesign my banner, soon, too, to reflect the new direction...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your little video on contemplative journaling! So serene, and reminds me of nature drawing I've done ... thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is serenely beautiful, Kate! Love the simple banner of Joseph and you.

    Simplification is absolutely glorious. Living in the moment instead of focusing on what's coming up or tomorrow's worries. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet friend! I have been heading in this direction for a long time, and it feels good to manifest it in another area.

      That's Joseph's favorite photo of me, so that's why I tried it out...and of course my drawing of Merlin! Had to have a cat...

      Delete
  10. I am an oil painter and did not like watercolor, but since watching your videos and reading your books, I am now able to use watercolor (and watercolor pencils) pretty well. Thank you for that! I went to a wonderful nature journaling class in Sedona, and my teacher told us about you, so I am now hooked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! Yes, watercolors are absolutely wonderful. Who was your teacher? Sounds like a great class...

      Delete
  11. I'll be following you dear Kate. You are such a generous person with your time and talents. You are a gift to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Kate for sharing not only your art, but yourself with us all. You inspire me in many ways....your art, the way you look at nature, your willingness to share your knowledge. Artists see the world through a different lens. We see the subtle and the powerful as we observe nature. I especially enjoy your daily posts on Facebook as you share your morning observations and greet the day. Thank you so much, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love your feedback...please share your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin