Friday, December 5, 2008

"Winter Owl" ACEO/ATC- SOLD

ORIGINAL
watercolor on gessoed paper
3.5 x 2.5 inches

I've been fascinated by these tiny paintings for several years, and because of their small size and affordability, have been able to own original paintings from several artists
whose work I admire a great deal.

ATCs are artist trading cards, and that's how the phenomenon started out--but many people who were not artists wanted to collect these little jewels, too. So ACEOs were born--still the size of a playing card, but "artist cards, editions and originals"
to meet this need. Some ACEOs are prints and some are still original, as is this one.

I was experimenting with painting with watercolor on paper treated with gesso--it makes a beautifully malleable surface and creates effects not possible any other way. I did a large painting with this technique for my latest book, and
this little card-size painting just for the experience.

People are collecting and displaying these tiny paintings in ingenious ways--framed and grouped together, piled in baskets, in scrapbooks--however they want!

I hope the idea allows you to own an original work of art--get your feet wet...

SOLD, and thank you!

4 comments:

  1. Kate--

    This is absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Terry! I really enjoyed the technique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work. Never occurred to me to gesso the paper. Learning all sorts of things from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's an interesting technique--not as controllable, in a way, but wonderful textures!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love your feedback...please share your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin